Monday, April 27, 2009

Parenting is a rocky road

...a rocky road through a beautiful forest of never ending surprises.


I'm certain this is no surprise to anyone, but this month, especially this week, has been a good demonstration of that.

The GOOD:
- Bear has figured out how to opening the kitchen cupboard with the pots, and can now amuse himself almost endlessly by pulling things out and playing with things. This is especially fun if I provide a spoon to drum with. (Not for Saturday mornings when Daddy is sleeping in).
- We've had lots of sunny time to spend outdoors playing ball (and eating grass).
- "Walking" either holding our hands or holding on to furniture is getting more and more fun. - I've figured out that if we go for a walk shortly after lunch Bear will fall asleep in the stroller and stay asleep long enough for me to get some yard work or gardening done.
- Waking up less in the middle of the night.
- We're started signing. Or, at least I am. I don't expect Bear to start for several weeks, and then only if I'm consistent. Checked a book out of the library and I think it could be great, if I can be consistent enough.

The BAD:
- Eating is challenging. He wants to only eat food he can feed himself, but won't touch most of the choices offered.
- Cruising has led to more falls, which has resulted in a chipped tooth. I'm having trouble dealing with the idea that I allowed this to happen.
- The cat is sooo irresistable, and taunts the baby, which has led to multiple scratches, and yet Bear still goes back for more.
- Getting up earlier in the morning.
On the food side of things:
- I have pepper plants about 2 inches high. As of yesterday there were more, but the cat found them this afternoon and uprooted several. Oh well, there are still plenty.
- Peas and looking GREAT.
- I don't think I'm getting spinach. I don't know what I did wrong, but it's four weeks since I planted the seeds and nothing.
- Planted seeds for melon, cucumbers, basil and cilantro indoors.
- Planted carrot and radish seeds in the ground.
Also, a coworker leant me the magazine Eating Well, and Dan brought home a copy of Cook's Illustrated. So many good recipes to inspire me and help me steer away from bottle sauces, and other packages goods. I also checked out of the library Family Nutrition by Sears, which is really just backing up everything I already know.

1 comment:

  1. Another good magazine you might want to look at is "Mother Earth News." I read a few recent back issues and it gave me much to consider!

    I miss you! Glad to hear about your little cutie pie, Bear!! :D

    ReplyDelete