Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Steps in the right direction

I started planting the garden this weekend. Yay!

Those I've told have mostly responded with something like, "What? The snow's gone?" Well, yes, indeed it is. And, just about everything I've read on gardening say peas and spinach go in "as soon as the ground can be worked." So, in they are.

Initially, I was pretty happy that it would rain the day after the seeds were planted. Now, I'm a bit worried that it may have rained too hard. It was really coming down last night. I guess we'll see.

My other big accomplishment has been baking bread. For just over a week now, we've had only homemade bread in the house.

I'm not sure this is the recipe I'm going to stick with. I like it. It's a pretty hardy whole wheat. But, Dan prefers his bread a bit whiter. So, we'll have to see. I could always alternate this one with a loaf of German sweet bread.

Well, someone is sick of his ExcerSaucer and typing one handed isn't very efficient. So, mommy duty calls.

2 comments:

  1. How is it that you have no snow and we do still? Nuts!
    Little one underfoot and you have time to make homemade bread? Go Kris!!

    When I used to make bread all the time (no kids, no husband = lots of extra time on my hands, I guess! :) I would cut the flour, half wheat and half white. Have you looked for the white flour that is naturally bleached? It's still whole wheat. I'll try to find the name of it for you, if you like...
    The pictures of your little guy are so adorable! Boy he is growing so fast! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. To ADKJen: I think I have the kind of flour you're talking about. It's from King Arthur. I'm going to try that next.

    ReplyDelete