Monday, June 29, 2009

Food is growing


For a while there it seemed like I was letting go of my ambitions to eat local food. Now that veggies are growing here in Maine, it's time to get back on track.
The picture at the top shows my peas at the beginning of the month. That's nothing compared to what they look like now. They're ready for snacking, but I'm hoping if I hold off another couple of days, they'll get bigger and more plentiful.
We've eaten all the radishes I planted, but more of those are coming from the farm and I'm looking forward to make lots of radish recipes this week.
And, although the spinach didn't turn out like I'd hoped, I did have some in a salad last week.

Tomorrow will be our fourth veggie pick up at the farm. Each week we get at least one recipe to go with the featured veggie, and I'm loving trying new greens. I've eaten arugula before, but it was so much tastier fresh. Tatsoi was new and yummy sauteed and in a salad. And, who ever knew you could eat rutabaga greens. They're good, too.
Lucky for us, we got a tour of the farm at a time when the rain actually stopped. It was a fabulous way to get outdoors, and we actually did it as a family.

I also got my first picture in the paper.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a wonderful day, even Dan is smiling in one of the photos! (just joking, lol)

    So now you're a published photographer! Which picture did you get in the paper? Inquiring minds want to know :)

    ReplyDelete