Thursday, February 4, 2010

Indoor (work and) play

Tuesday seemed like the first day in a long time that I felt like I was living in peace. From getting up in the morning, to going to bed at night, all was right in my world.

I think my boy had quite a good day, too.

We played, and laughed. We made a couple of messes, cleaned them up, and got some chores and cooking done, too.

The day is always helped by getting up in the morning and knowing that I don't need to go to work that night. It also helps when I plan on cooking - cooking makes me happy. The third main ingredient for a really good day is the decision to make it so. Add in some mess allowance for spice, and things are sure to come out well.

Despite the morning fog in my head from working the night before, I didn't let the TV suck us in (bad TV, I said). Instead I sucked down the coffee, shook off the fog, and started mixing bread.

What to do with Bear while I start my kitchen work? I wanted him near, and especially didn't want him in front of the TV, and I wanted him to have fun. Ahah, fill the sink with water, give him a chair and a few measuring cups and spoons - endless fun.

Sure, he was sopping wet, pretty nearly from head to toe, once we were done, but he had a blast, and I got my bread dough mixed and kneaded.

Then, I had a turkey to deal with, which meant I needed the sink. No, worries. I had a plan ...

Drain water from sink, go up to get changed into dry clothes, spot bubbles on dresser ... this is not part of the plan ... oh, well ... Downstairs, carrying the bubbles, saying/singing "bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, bubbles," many more times than I'm willing to write.

So, mommy took a break and we danced around the kitchen blowing and chasing bubbles and laughing.

It was at this point, that I decided that no matter what else happened, we'd had a good day. And, it was only 10 a.m.

Back to the plan ...


... get some Play-doh to help.


A good nap helped, too.

And, by the end of the afternoon, the bread was baked, the turkey and some vegetables were roasted, the woodstove was cleaned out and even some laundry got done.

Later, in the evening, I even got out for some girl time.

No comments:

Post a Comment