Sunday, March 29, 2009

Beginning in the middle

I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while, and finally I'm doing it. Two things I want to chronicle: my rapidly growing son; my efforts in trying to eat local food. (They're kind of connected, but I'll get to that another time, maybe). Granted, neither may be out of the ordinary, but they're both special to me, and maybe you, if you're reading.


My son:

Bear was born July 16, 2008. That makes him roughly 8 1/2 months now. So much time has passed, and he's growing so fast. I can't believe I've hardly made notes on all his milestones. I'm not going to try to backtrack, but I am going to try harder moving forward.

Today he's sick with a double ear infection and bronchitis. Yet, he's crawling faster every day, and beginning to learn to "cruise." He says "bababa" and other babbling noises that include the "b" sound. He loves his bath, but hates getting dressed.


My food:

For quite a while I've wanted to be better about eating food in a kinder way. Now, eating local is the thing to do, so I'm jumping on the band wagon. I really don't care about being "in." I do think it's awesome that the popularity of eating local food makes it easier.

It's obvious that I want to write about my son to keep his development in my memory, and maybe share with family. Reasons for wanting to blog about eating local are not so clear, but I feel compelled to do it. I suppose it may be as a measure of my success in meeting a challenge. Yet, I don't have a measurable goal. I simply want to do the best I can. (Remember, I have an eight-month-old, plus I work full time, and do not use daycare.)

Today I've registered for a farm share (actually did it last week), and I'm planning a garden. I'm still buying most of my food at Hannaford, but look for local options where they are readily available. I have started buying local fish once a week. The extra stop is worth it. It actually tastes better. I have a long way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am glad to be here, thank you for inviting me :)

    I have also found that, amazingly enough, the differences in food tastes is marked, especially between organic and non organic (like apples!)...

    Guess I should update MY blog now once in awhile too, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete